1. What information is collected through our Service?
a. User-Provided Information
During your use of a Service you may provide us with personal information, such as your name, e-mail addresses, your activities, including browsing and transaction history, or other information that could be used to identify you as an individual or allow someone to contact you, as well as any information associated with such personal information (collectively, “Personal Information”).
b. Location Data
When using our Services from a mobile device (a “Mobile Service”), you may choose (using your device’s location settings) to share the geographic location of your device with us. We may use your location information to customize Services for you in other ways. Your device location may be transmitted to us any time that a Mobile Service is running (even if you are not actively using the application or it is running in the background on your device). Your device may continue to transmit its location information to us until you change your settings to stop sharing location information.
If you set your device to not transmit location information to us, certain features may not be available or their functions may be limited. You should also know that turning off location sharing only prevents your device from sharing its precise location. Your network service provider may still provide coarse location information (based on access points you have connected to, for example). The information provided varies by service provider. You should check with your own provider to find out what information is provided and if there are ways for you to limit it.
c. Service Usage Information
As is typical of many web sites and mobile applications, our Services automatically collect certain information when you use them. Such information includes, for example, your “IP address” (which we may associate with your domain name or that of your Internet access provider or wireless carrier, and your general location), information about your computer or mobile device, a unique ID number associated with your device or other unique identifiers such as advertising identifiers (e.g., “ad-ID” or “IDFA”), web browser, and operating system information, the language your computer or device is set to, wireless connections you are using, the referring page that linked you to us, general information about your usage of our Services, the pages, content or ads you see or click on during your use and when and for how long you do so, and the next web site you visit when you leave our web site, and any search terms you have entered on our Services or a referral site.
Among other things, this information enables us to generate analytics reports on the usage of our Service.
In addition, we may deploy various tracking technologies through our Services to collect additional information about your use. For example:
• HTML5 may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Service usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how our Services are being used by our visitors, how it can be improved, and to customize it for our users.
• A pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed in an online page or electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of our articles.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or by our service providers or partners on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to your computer or device, and relate information about your use of the Services to other information about you, including your Personal Information. These technologies also enable us to recognize you when you access our Service using different web browsers or devices.
2. How is your information used?
We or our service providers may use the information we collect from and about you to perform the following business functions:
• administering our Services
• enabling users to use our Services and their features
• localizing the content and articles that are displayed to you based on your geographical location
• responding to your requests, questions, and concerns
• market research
• improving or developing new features and offerings in our Services
• sending you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others, that we think might interest you
• protecting our rights and property
• customizing our Services to your interests and history with us
• tailoring ads displayed to you in our Services and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
• other purposes disclosed when personal information is submitted to us
To perform the above functions, we may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both Personal Information and information about your use of the Services, and use such information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) such as demographic information and updated contact information. We or our service providers may also use your information to assess the level of interest in, and use of, our Service, our e-mails, and our other messaging campaigns both on an individual basis and in the aggregate.
3. External Platforms
We may also include tools on our Services that allow you to share and/or publicly post articles, content or information from our Services to your profile on a third party social network. You may choose to share information about your activities on the Service with such third party platforms and its users, including publishing your information about what content you may have viewed on our Services. If you visit a Service while logged into certain social media platforms, the social media platform may be able to identify your browser and associate the technical information provided by your web browser with other information that they have already collected about you, which may result in their ability to identify you. In addition, when you choose to share information about your activities on the Service with certain social media platforms, we may send technical information about you to that platform as well as information about what content you are viewing.
4. Do we share Personal Information and Service Usage Information with others?
Yes, for the limited purposes described below. We may share your information:
• with third parties who need your information in order to provide services to us (or on our behalf),
• when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, law enforcement, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law,
• in connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business.
In addition, what you voluntarily post to public areas of our Service will often be readily available to other Service users. Finally, we may share non-personally identifiable information about usage of the Services (including aggregate data) with others, for their own use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
5. Third-Party Ad Servers and Networks
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Service.
For more information about third-party advertisers and how to prevent them from using your information, visit the Digital Advertising Alliance’s site at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/or the Network Advertising Initiative’s site at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. However, if you opt-out we may still suggest offerings (including content sponsored by third-parties) to you on our Service based on your history or your account preferences.
7. Google Analytics
We utilize Google Analytics for our web analytics. You can learn more about how Google uses information gathered through the Services by visiting https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites. You can opt out of your usage data being included in our Google Analytics reports by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. The Google Analytics opt-out mechanisms do not prevent data from being sent to us or in other ways to other web analytics services.
8. Do Not Track Disclosures
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” (DNT) signals to mobile applications with which the user communicates. We currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail under “Service Usage Information” above) in response to DNT settings in your web browser.
Our third party partners, such as web analytics companies and third party ad networks, may collect information about your online activities over time and across our Service and other online properties. These third parties may not change their tracking practices in response to DNT settings in your web browser and we do not obligate these parties to honor DNT settings.
While we endeavor to protect the security and integrity of sensitive Personal Information collected via our Service, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers.
If you correspond with us by e-mail, text message, or using a “Contact Us” feature on our Service, you should be aware that your transmission might not be secure. A third party could view the information you send in transit by such means. We will have no liability for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission.
If we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our care may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to notify you as promptly as possible under the circumstances. If we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification.
10. “Linked-To” Sites
12. Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments regarding our privacy practices, you may contact us at:
News and News Holdings, LLC
2655 South Le Jeune Road
Coral Gables, Florida, 33134
Effective Date: May 16, 2018